Tuesday, June 23, 2009

How does your garden grow?

I'm sure I'm the only one in this situation, but with all of the rainfall the past few weeks, my garden grows really well. The weed-part of my garden, that is. If I look really hard, I can see tomatoes, some beans, a few pumpkins, and something I don't remember. Oh, sure, I remember planting them, I just don't know what they are.


I know, I know, gardens, weeds...and the DR??? Well, on the previously mentioned list that just keeps on growing is getting on top of the weeds that just keep on growing. So, a little gardening is very germane to the DR. Now that we've established relevance, your honor, may I continue? Yeah, I've seen Law and Order, too.


It's been busy enough this year that planting a garden was remarkable, in and of itself. Normally, we'd have a bunch planted already, but I've basically planted about half of what we want. At least we've got tomatoes in - that's what we really like from the garden. And those tomatoes have loved the rain. I need to get the cages around them. Then again, the weeds have loved the rain, too. It looks like a rain forest. If I were an ant.




So, last night I got the tiller, a rake, a shovel, a hoe, and went to work. When I got done, it looked a bit more respectable, although it still needs attention. That's the part where I check something off (till garden), and find a few more things added (plant corn, plant carrots, plant cucumber). The good news for me is that most planting guides say not to plant anything past July 1st. The bad news is we've planted corn well into July before with good results.




And, lest you think the girls aren't doing anything, Shanlee and Megan each have responsibility for a flower bed. They might say it looks more like a sprawling estate in size, but it's a flower bed. Don't let them kid you. Still, the flower beds have received similar attention due to the rain, and now they have been working to clean them up. It's much more difficult for them since they can't use a tiller - it's all by hand. But they've done such a nice job.

No comments: