Another aspect of international travel involves the need to get shots. Not the Sammy Sosa, Mark McGuire, New York Yankees type of shots. The kind of shots you need are documented on the CDC site. Very detailed - so much so you almost don't want to go after you read all of the potential ailments you could contract.
Two years ago I spent a few weeks in India for work, and there was a laundry list of vaccinations I had to receive before my trip. Well, the same thrill is about to be realized for Shanlee and Megan. I'm up to date with these vaccinations, thanks to my jaunt to northern India, but they have had no reason to get a Hepatitis A or B vaccination. Not to mention the Rabies or Typhoid shots. Roll up the sleeves, girls!
The list of diseases you can get in the DR is impressive. The CDC lists dengue, malaria, leptospirosis, ciquatera poisoning, histoplasmosis, tuberculosis. and HIV specifically. I feel like I'm back in 9th grade biology listening to Mrs. Spencer say things that just sound horrific; kind of like something that makes your liver and pancreas switch places while your stomach is wrapped up in your intestines. Ouch.
My personal favorite from the list: Malaria. This one doesn't require a shot - it's a daily dose of medication that does a quite a number on the digestive track. For me, it's nostalgic. I spent two weeks of gastrointestinal bliss in India, and from the description on the CDC site for the DR, it could be a similar experience. Ahhh, the memories.
I'm just so glad my family can share these experiences with me.
<Editor's note: due to the nature of images related to shots and the nature of the ailments listed above, I decided not to include a photo with today's post. I hope you will understand.>
5 comments:
Thanks for sparing us the visual. And please refrain from posting pictures of when you actually get them. Especially if they're you-know-where.
i just got word of your new blog. i can't wait to hear all about your adventure! i also wanted to say i'm so impressed with megan and shanlee and that they would be open to the idea of going to a foreign country to serve. i'm so proud of them!
Yay! I'm also so incredibly proud of all of you to coordinate such a worthy service. This will surely be an invaluable experience for all of you and just think, you all will be safely immunized for all kinds of stinky stuff! Can't wait to hear your updates. Hugs from your Auntie Rosie
You're a crack-up Mr. Herrin
MMmmm....My companion got dengue in Brazil. I have all kinds of *lovely* visual images without you posting the pictures. Thank you.
But really, fun blog! I'm excited to hear about everything!
Post a Comment